Saturday, October 18, 2014

Number 6 ~ A herb garden

The countdown is on to the big 4-0.  The party is organised, the invites have been sent and this is only the 9th thing I am crossing off the 40 things list.  Yep, 9 of 40. 
 
But i'm not giving up yet.  I'm on a mission to see how many I do get done.  (The rest can get rolled over to 50 before 50).
 
So number 6 on the list was to create a herb garden. 
 
Now I can assure you that the purpose of this said herb garden was always intended to be purely visual.   I'm not really that into herbs for culinary purposes.  And using them for medicinal purposes is just taking things too far for me.
 
So pretty herb garden to look at and water and pray it survives.  I'm not that bad with plants.  I'm no green thumb but I go alright.  I'm very casual when it comes to maintenance tho.  The whole fertiliser/bug control/plant diseases thing - nah-uh-uh, not this little ducky.  Sure I know how to throw out some snail pellets and spray around some white oil but beyond that it's survival of the fittest...
 
But back to pretty... 
 
So what I had in mind originally was a grand spiral herb garden made out of bricks.   Unfortunately I have already pushed my luck and created an unapproved garden at my rental property so this is out of the question for now...
 
Instead I decided on pots.   So off to Bunnings I went and bought pots, herbs and some plant markers.

My trip to Bunnings

A cute herb garden needs cute signs right!?  So I hand stamped these little babies ready for my little herb garden. 





 
Next step... pot up herbs in cute pots and display on gorgeous cake stand.  Add cute little handstamped signs and place on front patio on old chippy desk.  CUTE CUTE CUTE!


 
 
 
So visually I am pleased with this little number!  But then I got to thinking about the herbs...
 
We've got chives, parsley, sage, thyme, mint, basil and oregano.
 
 I'm feeling that the chives, basil and oregano may get a culinary run.  And possibly thyme.  (My mum once made these amazing chicken and thyme rissoles so it might come in useful).  As for parsley I only see it as a garnish and I don't know if they kids will appreciate it on their party pies or fish fingers (but mumma might get fancy with that yet - stay tuned).  Mint is just as useless but smells great.   And sage... seriously what is sage?!?!?!?  It looked good so it made the cut but I have no idea what to do with it!   I tried to google it but it mentioned fertility and I got scared and x'd out of it... Ain't nobody got time for that...  
 
Oh well, I guess even if they never get used at least they look good!!!
 
 
 
 
 
 
So there she is.  Number 6.  A herb garden. 


No comments:

Post a Comment